CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

To Hear or Not To Hear

My husband is never afraid to sing along with the radio, sing loudly in church, or sing "Good Morning Beautiful" to me as I open my eyes in the morning. I absolutely LOVE his singing voice. He can always bring a smile to my face when his vocal cords make music. After reading these past few sentences about how much I love my husband's voice, you will be surprised to find out that he is tone deaf. Using his voice to match a note being played, whether it is on the piano or on the radio, is a very difficult task for him. As his wife, the sound of his off-key singing voice is beautiful music to my ears. But, at the same time, someone in my position may wonder, "Is it possible for my husband to learn to sing on tune?" The answer is YES. With training, even the most off-key singer can learn to sing in tune.


A person wanting to learn to sing well would begin with "ear training." To someone inexperienced, "ear training" may sound like a silly phrase, but they would be pleased to know that that "silly phrase" could change their singing voices for the better. When doing ear training with beginners, start with the basics. For example, play two different notes on the piano (one at a time) and ask which note was higher and which was lower. Once they can identify that successfully, ask them if the notes are close together or far apart. From there, you can go up in difficultly and ask them to identify octaves, dissonance, major/minor chords etc.


Even though my husbands voice is beautiful to me, I would love to teach him technique and do ear training with him. We have already talked about it, and he is willing. I am connecting a picture of my husband to this blog so that you will recognize him when he is a famous vocalist, well-known for his perfect pitch.

0 comments: